Thursday, November 9, 2017

Week 12 Story: Bedlam

Duryodhana took another drink from his mug. "I don't care what happened last season, we are going to win this year!" Duryodhana was once again arguing with his cousin, Arjuna, before the big game. This was a yearly occurrence that dated back to 1904.

"Duryodhana," Arjuna started, "what on earth makes you think you will win this season? Have you learned nothing over the last decade....better yet, have you learned nothing over the last century?!"

Arjuna did have a point. Duryodhana's Cowboys had only won two out of the last ten meetings between the two teams and boasted only eighteen total wins in the history of the series. Arjuna's Sooners had won eighty-six. There were also seven ties.

"I'll tell you why we will win; our quarterback, Karna, is going to lead us to victory. He's just as good as your quarterback, probably better. Drona, our running back, is going to run all over your defense behind our amazing offensive line. We have the best receivers in football and there's no way the Sooners will be able to slow them down. This is our year!"

While Duryodhana's Cowboys did have a good quarterback, and good running back, and arguably the best receivers in football, and Arjuna's Sooners had been mediocre at best defensively, the Sooners' offense was the best in the nation.

"I don't disagree that your Cowboys will score a lot of points, Duryodhana, it's just that the Sooners will score more." Arjuna calmly replied.

"That's absurd! There's no way Coach Bheeshma will allow that to happen. Your team will be lucky to even cross the goal line. I wouldn't be surprised if Krishna forfeits at the half."

Although Coach Krishna hadn't been with the Sooners long, he was one of the most respected and best coaches in football. He was a household name and was well respected by all of his peers.

"I think you may have had a bit too much to drink, Duryodhana. It is pointless to argue with you. Every year you tell me how great your team is and how badly your team is going to win, and every year your team is humiliated. This year will be no different. I guess we will just have to wait until Saturday."

62-52
Image Creator: Jeremy Harris




Bibliography.The Bhagavad Gita translated by Ramanand Prasad.
In the original story, Sanjaya is relaying to King Dhritarashtra what he overheard Duryodhana telling Drona before the battle. Duryodhana tells Drona that there are many warriors on his side that are equal to Arjuna and that Bheeshma (I spelled the names that same as in the original story), his army commander, was invincible. He believes that the Pandavas' army would be easily defeated. In my story, I replaced the war with a yearly football game where one team always talks their side up, assuming they will win before coming back to reality after the game.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jeremy!
    First of all, I really enjoyed reading your story “Bedlam” I liked the layout of your story and how you incorporated some dialogue between your characters. Also I think the image you added complements your story very well. Overall, I think you did a great job on this story and I can’t wait to read your other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jeremy!

    I enjoyed reading your story! It was a great idea to incorporate the "Bedlam Game" to represent the war in your story. I think it was great that you had Karna play as Baker. That was great because Baker does represent the football team as a leader and so does Karna. You did a great job retelling this story. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeremy,

    I thought this was such a fun story to read. I love that you chose to mix bedlam and the epics we have been reading in class. Naming the strengths and weaknesses of both team in the terms of the ancient stories worked really well and made for an easy read. Great job and I look forward to reading more!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the humor and real-life connections with this story, especially with how you included the Sooners! I know very little about football, but it was still easy for me to understand the basics of the storyline and the positions they were bragging about. You captured the nature of two of the coolest characters (in my opinion so far) from Indian epic literature! You kept it fun and lighthearted, yet kept the characters' personalities, and I think that's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jeremy! I really enjoyed the way that you incorporated the Bedlam rivalry into the Mahabharatha in your story. I think it was super relatable to us OU students, and bridges a gap between the ancient Mahabharatha and the relatable contemporary world. Great job on your story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jeremy! I loved that you were able to relate the bedlam rivalry to the Mahabharatha. It makes it super relatable to us since we are all Sooners and I especially love football. You kept it fun while still capturing the original aspects of the story. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jeremy! I love, love, LOVE that you wrote your story in a Bedlam setting! I think it's one of my favorites because it relates to something huge on our campus as well. You did a great job of replacing coaches and players with the characters from both families in the Mahabharata. I found this story really creative and amusing haha great job :)

    ReplyDelete