Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Rama's Quest Part A

Title: The Indian Story Book: Rama's Quest Part A
Author: Richard Wilson
Illustrator: Frank Pape
Year: 1914

- Rama and Lakshmana are merely humans in this epic, not gods reincarnated. They face a shape-shifting ogress in their first battle, and manage to succeed. I could give a detailed account of this battle.

- It is said that the brothers were successful in battle because they exercised constantly, among other things. I could tell a story about one of their exercise sessions.

- I think it is interesting that Rama's companion is referred to as a "magician." The first thing I think of is him just being there for entertainment. I could tell a story about Rama and Lakshmana defeating a bunch of evil beings, while the magician just does simple card tricks, or pulls rabbits out of a hat. Something completely absurd, that makes Rama happy, but also shows his childishness/innocence. 

- At the beginning of the epic, Ayodhya is described as almost a perfect city with nothing wrong. One Rama is sent into exile, the city is filled with grief. I could tell a story painting the picture of how much the city had fallen due to Rama's exile. I could tell it from the point of view of a peasant, either talking to another peasant, or maybe his/her observations on their journey to the marketplace or something similar.

- After Ravana carries off Sita, Rama is angry with Lakshmana. Lakshmana remind Rama that when Sita called him a coward, he had to protect his dignity, which somehow made Rama feel better. When Sugriva gave Rama the golden circlet, he found it difficult to preserve his dignity. I feel that I could tell a story where this much pride and dignity is harmful, and not helpful, although you think they would have realized that when it led to Sita being captured. Maybe I could tell a story of the conversation between Rama and Lakshmana where they both come to the realization that so much pride can be hurtful.

- Rama saying "That's child's play" makes me laugh.

Building the Bridge to Lanka
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment